It is that spine-chilling time of year again! A time when pumpkins come alive, and ghosts and goblins come knocking on your door. Here are a few Halloween safety tips to keep you and your companion animal safe this year.
Jack-o-lanterns can be a fire hazard to your companion animal. Older pumpkins can get mold on them and is toxic to your companion animal if ingested.
Be careful when opening the door. Opening the door over and over again gives your companion animal a lot of opportunities to escape if they are frightened. The safest option is to keep them in a separate room. If your companion animal is getting nervous about the doorbell ringing from trick-or-treaters, sit outside to wait for guests.
Keep the candy bowl out of reach and throw away all candy wrappers. Chocolate contains theobromine, and sugar-free candies contain xylitol. Both are toxic to your companion animals.
Make sure your companion animal’s costume allows them to move around freely and does not get in the way of their breathing. Never leave your companion animal alone in their costume in case they get caught on something or start chewing on it.
Have a happy and safe Halloween!